This deliciously healthy cauliflower soup is an all time family favourite in my household at the moment. A great winter dinner or if you have a thermo container it is also great to send the kids off to school with for a change from their same old sandwich for lunch.
This gluten free, dairy free creamy cauliflower soup is made using coconut cream instead of regular cream and gets its cheesy flavour using nutritional yeast flakes. This soup is vegan or for the meat eaters it also goes great with chorizo.
Deliciously Healthy Cauliflower Soup
- A head of a cauliflower
- 4 medium size potatoes
- 2 x 450g tin of coconut cream or coconut milk
- 500ml bone broth or stock. While you can make your own stocks and bone broths, if you are going buy one, check out my recommendation here
- 3x fresh garlic cloves or garlic infused olive oil
- 3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tbsp chives
- 3 x chorizo sausages diced into small squares (optional)
- himalayan rock salt and pepper to to taste
- Chop up the cauliflower head into florets and peel potatoes and cut into small cubes.
- Using a big pot, over low to medium heat, add a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil.
- Add chopped garlic cloves and fry in oil for a couple of minutes or until browned.
- Add the potatoes and fry in oil. Make sure you and keep the potatoes moving to avoid them getting stuck to the pot.
- Add the cauliflower florets and broth.
- Bring to a boil, add coconut milk or cream, nutritional yeast flakes, chives, salt and pepper and then turn heat down to a simmer.
- Cook the soup until potatoes and cauliflower are soft.
- While the soup is cooking, if you are using chorizo, this is a good time to brown the chorizo in a fry pan.
- Turn soup off heat and let cool for a bit, then pour the soup mix into a food processor along with the garlic infused olive oil (if you were using oil instead of cloves) and blend on high speed until a smooth creamy soup forms.
- You can now place the soup back in the pot to reheat. If you are using chorizo, this is the step where you will add in the chorizo, plus any oil from the pan and stir though the soup.
- The soup is now ready to be served. Drizzle with a little extra garlic oil, and sprinkle dried chives on top.
This soup is great by itself for great paired with oven cooked gluten free pita breads.
Serves 6. Smaller serves could serve 8.
Cauliflower is a nutrient dense fibre rich veggie part of the cruciferous family. Its anti-inflammatory and has the ability to enhance weight loss and digestion. For my other favourite cauliflower recipe check out my:Caulilflower Fried Rice
If you like this recipe give it a like, share and leave a comment below and let me know how you went.