Who doesn't love watermelon? A fruit that is loved by all. There is nothing more satisfying than sinking your teeth into that natural sweet and juicy summer favourite fruit.
Depending on where you are situated in the world, if you are in Australia we have just gone into Autumn and you might be making the most of the very last of the watermelon that is left before the winter fruits become a favourite or if you are somewhere, where it is tropical and/or warm, watermelon may just be accessible in abundance for you right now.
Watermelon tastes delicious, is so refreshing, keeps our bodies hydrated with the high water content of the fruit, (if you struggle to get water into the kids, watermelon is great to increase their water intake). while it is also a good source of vitamin C and vitamin A. Both important nutrients for supporting a healthy immune system.
So while watermelon on its own is great, what better way to jazz up watermelon than by freezing it and making it into watermelon granite. If you haven’t tried a granita before its like shaved ice, similar consistency to a slushie. The recipe is easy to make, only contains a few simple ingredients. has no added sugar, will feel like a treat and is bound to have the kids asking for more.
Watermelon Granita (GF, DF, V)
- 1/2 Watermelon
- The juice from an orange squeezed
- 1x small lime
- Vanilla extract (optional)
- Chop watermelon into small square cubes.
- Place in freezer in a glass or metal container
- Once frozen, remove watermelon from the freezer and place into your blender with lime juice, orange juice, and 100% pure vanilla extract. Do short pulses or a short blend to combine all ingredients together.
- Pour watermelon mixture back into a container and put back in freezer to set.
- Once set remove from freezer and use a fork to break up and place frozen watermelon chunks in a glass to be served.
You now have yourself or your kids a yummy summer favourite. Don’t expect it to last long though as this will become the kids new favourite.
If you liked this post, give it a like, share on social, share with a friend or another mum in need of a healthy option without the added sugar that will still satisfy the kids.
Here’s to good health and happiness x